In many ways, the kitchen is the hub of our home which, at this point in our lives, is a mixed blessing. I enjoy cooking and baking and appreciate my kids' interest in both, but sometimes they really slow me down when they take up residence in front of the pantry or fridge to watch me work. Things get even messier when Emilia tries to help. I give her a chance to be involved whenever possible, but sometimes it's just gotta get done fast. And Rex won't leave my side when his favorite foods are cooking because he really doesn't want to miss the moment they are served.
This was quite a while ago, but Rex took these treats in to give to his classmates on Valentine's Day.
One day I had a massive hankering for warm, fresh dinner rolls, so I baked some from scratch. They were so good and all I ate that night with some butter and jam.
Craig, Emilia and I really like curry, so one afternoon I threw together this simple thai inspired potato curry. It turned out to be delicious and we will make it again... as long as I can remember what I put in it.
Twice a year parents organize a luncheon for the therapists at Rex's school. There are some vegetarians in the group, so it often falls to me to prepare the vegetarian main dish. Last month I decided to make black bean burgers with avocado cream and mango salsa. Yummy!
I had been wanting a dessert that would combine the flavors of tart cherries and almond for several months, so Easter gave me the perfect excuse to try out a new recipe for a cherry almond streusel cake. It was scrumptious, especially when refrigerated.
Emilia and her best friend Cooper are crazy about hummus, so when one of them has it for lunch, we always try to make sure the other does as well. Here they are with their respective tubs of hummus eating away, no sides needed.
And that's the haps in the kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment