Monday, May 26, 2014

Summer's Here

Memorial Day weekend is almost over, but summer has only just begun.  We had a great start to the season over these last three days and really enjoyed a little break of togetherness.

On Saturday, we met up with an incredible group of families whose children are affected by the same genetic syndrome as Rex.  It was so refreshing for me as a mom to sit with other moms who truly get it and to hear statements from them that could have come straight from my own mouth.  Even if it was just for a little while, it was a relief to be able to let it all hang out for once.

As part of this outing, there were free rides on a pontoon boat and the kids loved being on the water.  This was their first time on a boat, so Craig and I were excited to be able to introduce them to yet another new experience.


The main meal at this gathering was catered by a restaurant, but desserts were potluck, so I brought fresh berry pies.  Whipped cream not shown in these photos.  What better way to welcome summer?



On Sunday, I did a little bit of organizing around the house and we dropped a trunk full of stuff off at Goodwill.  Since Rex's last week of the official school year starts tomorrow, I also took some time to prepare little gifts for his 11 therapists. I wasn't very creative this year and went the Bath and Body Works route.  I mixed and matched scents, so hopefully every teacher can find something to her liking.  I got this stuff as a steal, too.  Normally each gift would have been about $15, but with coupons and other offers, it was only $4 per set.



At the end of the school year I also always like to recognize the hard work of Rex's classmates with a little token of our affection.  All of these children are amazing and have a special place in our hearts.  This time around, I put together buckets with some sand toys, a few organic snacks, small bubbles and a curly straw.  Again, with some thrifty shopping, the cost of each set was just under $3.




And, with the gorgeous weather we had this weekend, we took the kids to the playground twice on Sunday and twice today.  They were in slide, climb and swing heaven.




This morning, Craig had the chance to golf nine holes with his cousin Bryan.  I am so happy he got a little break from our normal routine and could spend time with a great friend.  Meanwhile, Bryan's wife Maria came to hang out with the kids and me at home which was also a treat.  We are really excited that these awesome cousins have recently moved back into our neck of the woods and their first baby will be arriving soon.

Here's to summer!  Welcome back!

No comments:

Post a Comment