Until the end of the calendar year, Ella receives about an hour of focused home schooling per day either with me or with Ms. Rie. Emilia is always a part of it, too. Today we started with a turkey craft, gluing felt feathers on and spelling their names in stickers:
Ella loves arts and crafts and this creativity was something I wished for in a child, but after Rex and Emilia have had limited interest, I kind of got used to doing crafts only once or twice a week at most. Now with Ella, I can hardly keep up with her demand for "cut, cut, cut and glue" as she calls it, so we have three structured arts and crafts activities per week and then Ella has access to doing other creative things on her own the rest of the time.
After completing the turkeys, we worked on quantifying which Ella already knows how to do, but Emilia is struggling to learn. We counted little wooden houses today in a variety of tactile, hands-on, ways with a lot of movement (Emilia has been identified by her therapists as a kinesthetic learner along with only 5% of the general population): jumping over them, knocking them over, tossing them into a bowl, etc.
Then the girls and Ms. Rie went to swing and jump in the basement.
After lunch, we made snow icecream, mixing sugar, vanilla and coconut milk with our freshly fallen snow. It was actually quite good. Ella also brought in a small snowball and we learned about melting. As Ella put it, "Snow cold, then water."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Aw. That's the best. I totally understand how you would feel. As the mom to an always-on-the-move gal, art "projects" amount to a two-second scribble on paper and that's that. And, as a former summer camp art teacher, you can imagine I am in your boat!
ReplyDelete