Monday, March 30, 2015

The World's Ugliest Rainbow Cake

Those of you who read here often know that I love to bake and experiment in the kitchen.  So after Ella made this cute play dough cake for me, I wanted to reciprocate with a rainbow cake for her.


The whole experience of making a rainbow cake was frustrating from beginning to end. I hate food coloring in the first place, so working with multiple colors was not really my thing. Plus the dough would not come out of the pans after baking and crumbled into pieces which made the icing process a real challenge.  I completed the cake, but accepted defeat.




When Ella saw my cake, she said, "Don't worry about your crazy ugly cake, Mama, it's still pretty. I'm still gonna eat it."

Surprisingly, when we did cut the cake for dessert on Saturday night, it was truly pretty inside with lovely colors.  And the flavor... well, you can't go wrong with homemade buttercream icing.


1 comment:

  1. I also love to bake, but I haven't tried my hand at one of these rainbow cakes. And after hearing about your trials and tribulations I definitely won't rush to try it. I say good for you for giving it a whirl, and as long as it's tasty, who cares how it looks. :)

    ReplyDelete