Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Emilia's New IEP

Emilia will start half-day kindergarten in August.  She will be in class five days a week with Ella's current, wonderful teacher.  Last week, I sat in a room with a dozen people to discuss her development and progress and to decide on goals for the coming school year.

I am extremely pleased with the IEP our new school district proposed and will implement for Emilia.  She will be in school three hours per day and have a 1:1 aide to assist her for that entire span of time.  I wouldn't have asked for this service, the team offered it from their end to allow Emilia to participate fully in all classroom activities.  Additionally, in the coming year, Emilia will work 1:1 with a special education teacher in the resource room for 30 minutes every single day.  She will also have 45 minutes of speech therapy per week and 30 minutes each of occupational and physical therapy per week.

Emilia's academic goals have been adjusted to reflect her current level of development and to accommodate her sensory needs.  Frankly, I am thrilled with some of the creativity and thoughtfulness that went into these very appropriate and useful goals.

I think we will see great things from our beautiful girl in the next 12 months.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful and that your move is really working out for the best!

    ReplyDelete