Friday, August 28, 2015

Apraxia In The News

Apraxia of speech, the neurological condition affecting our Emilia, has been in the news lately.

To me, the most important quote from this report are these words by Ronda Rousey: “But it was really I had all these words perfectly arranged in my head, it’s just when they tried to come out of my mouth they sounded different,” she said. “It was kind of like there was a divide between my brain and my mouth.”   I think this is exactly what Emilia would tell us if she could.

Emilia, I know you fight hard every single day to communicate all the wonderful thoughts, ideas, and feelings that I believe, without a doubt, are alive and well in your head.  Last night you looked at a picture of an alligator and told me it was a "dinosaur snake."  This morning for the first time ever, as I put you on the school bus, you said clear as day, "I love you" and blew me a kiss.  I love you, too, my brave, determined girl, and I will never ever let people write you off because you have apraxia.

No comments:

Post a Comment