Wednesday, August 19, 2015

First Day Of School 2015

Today, my girls started school.  Emilia is in half day Kindergarten and Ella is in first grade.  They ride the same bus in the morning.  Being together at the start of the day is great for both of them.



In Germany, the first day of first grade is considered the official beginning of a child's formal education.  It's a special day with celebrations not only at the schools, but also at home with family and friends.  On the first day of first grade, parents give their new student a Schultuete (school cone), filled with some treats, but mostly with school supplies and practical items, like a child's first wrist watch or small tissue packs.

I was so excited to share this tradition with Ella today for her first day of first grade.  My mom had brought the Schultuete from Germany earlier this year, so it's authentic.  Insert chuckle here.  The difference was that I didn't fill it with school supplies because I paid the PTO through a fundraiser to purchase all required materials for both Ella and Emilia which saved me a ton of time and hassle while supporting the school.  So, instead, I got Ella a few things she's been wanting: her own personal bottle of essential oil, some stick-on earrings, and the DVD of Eloise at Christmastime.



I know it's crazy, but I am also really excited about packing Ella's lunches and afternoon snacks.  I got a bento box which I think will work out well for the foods she likes.  Here's what she has today, plus a yogurt and a bottle of water:



And now here I am with four hours home alone.  It's quiet and maybe I should just bask in it, but my to do list is long.  So, off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment