Since we've had our weekly farm share, there's been a lot more kale than usual in our house. It's not typically something we would buy at the store for just the five of us. However, I don't want this super healthy food to go to waste, so I have been trying my hand at kale chips. After some trial and error, I think we have them to where we like them (though not as good as yours, Shelley).
I followed some basic recipes I found online, but instead of all kinds of complicated coatings, we simply do olive oil and a citrus and spice rub that we also like on roasted veggies. The key seems to be to dry the leaves very well after washing, really massage in the oil and spice mix, and cook on low heat (300 F for about 25 mins).
| Washed and dried |
| With oil and spices |
| Baked |
We had our first pool party with family and friends in July and while I got dinner from a local restaurant, I made the dessert myself: triple lemon cupcakes - lemon cupcakes, lemon icing and a bunch of sour candy for the kids to decorate theirs.
Grilled peaches and a slice of yummy chocolate cake made with steamed, then pureed beets as one of the main ingredients were the finale of one of our Sunday outdoor dinners.
This is my starter for Rex's pizza topping (the veggies vary). I saute the veggies, add a pound of ground beef and some kind of tomato product, cook, then puree it all and spread it onto gluten-free rosemary focaccia bread. I usually make at least six servings of this pizza at once, sometimes twelve. They freeze well.
As Eloise would say, "I love, love, love summer lunches."
This impromptu dinner was made up entirely of farm share provisions plus olive oil and salt/pepper. It was fantastically delicious. Despite initial hesitation, Ella tried and then enjoyed the purple potatoes.
| Prior to baking |
What do you like to serve in the summer?
No comments:
Post a Comment