Saturday, August 13, 2016

Ella's Birthday Party 2016

We recently celebrated Ella's eighth birthday with family and friends.  Ella firmly believes that she's a mermaid and that her tail will grow when she gets older, so it was no surprise that she asked for a mermaid party.

I did a little research - not on Pinterest because that would be self-sabotaging on so many levels - but via a few blogs of families who'd done mermaid parties.  I toned down their ideas by about 80% and spent approximately $10 on decorations, including for the cake, raided my house for the rest, as well as did a combo of homemade and ordered food.  Add the pool, some toys, family and friends and, voila, we had ourselves a celebration and our mermaid was happy.








The cake has a little story.  Ella asked for a blue mermaid cake and I decided to make it myself.  I baked the layers and then frosted the middle and the top and set the cake into the fridge to let the buttercream harden a little more before decorating.  When I opened the fridge about 30 minutes later, the entire top layer had broken apart and slid off to the sides.  So, making the best of a less than ideal situation, I created this cake and everyone thought it was perfect.


Opening presents

Cousin stealing candy off the cake
Ella ended the day with a long bath, followed by a mama massage with essential oils, and then getting the special privilege of sleeping in the big bed with Craig and me.

1 comment: