Friday, February 24, 2012

Let Him Be

For the past several nights, I have had varying nightmares about Rex being evaluated and tested for his development. I don’t know how many times this has happened for real in the last six months, but just counting what I remember, I come to 15 separate instances with a number of different entities in which we had to answer questions about Rex’s growth, development and history and in which he was supposed to “show off” his skills on command in unfamiliar environments with total strangers watching and demanding. I guess my dreams are indicative of the fact that I have had just about enough of these things. Leave my kid alone for a minute and let him be a child.

In my most recent nightmare, someone from the school district came to the door to take Rex’s measurements. She said the IEP couldn’t be finished without it. I allowed her into our home and told her I would need to go upstairs to wake Rex from his nap. She followed me up and then insisted that she wake him which I refused completely. This turned into an argument and I finally pushed the woman over the banister down into the dining room. After she had crashed, I cussed her out like a sailor from up top and told her she’d better never dare put her hands on either of my children and to get out. Can you tell that I am just a little bit tired of the probing and judging that Rex and our family have had to endure?

We have one more evaluation coming up next week which is for Rex’s preschool. After that I truly hope that we will be left alone for a while to live our lives and just let Rex learn, grow and develop without being scrutinized every step of the way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great dream! We have wanted to do the same with some orthopedic doctors we have dealt with in the past year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete