Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blueberry Bonanza

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Marie and I headed to Indiana to pick blueberries.  After a few hours of work, I came home with about fourteen pounds of antioxidant bounty.


I made four jars of blueberry freezer jam.  This is the first summer that I own a freezer and I am loving it.  Freezer jam is so much faster and easier than traditional jam.


I also cooked some lavender-blueberry jam the old-fashioned way.  I grow the lavender myself and when I found the recipe, I decided to try it.  It turned out well, like a berry jam with a floral note.  I canned several six-ounce jars of this concoction to be used as part of teachers' gifts at Christmas.


And, of course, I froze some blueberries to be used in pancakes and sweet breads throughout the winter.


As every year, the piece de resistance was a family favorite: blueberry lemon cobbler.  This thing was gone in less than 24 hours.  Rex loved it, Craig and I have always been crazy about it.  We even scooped some fruit only out for Emilia and crumbled dairy-free lemon cookies on top, so she could enjoy the treat with us.  Delicious.


Now that I have stocked up on berries, I am waiting for peaches.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I can never make anything. My kids eat the blueberries too fast. this season I only got to freeze a few things of strawberries. You'll have to share that blueberry- lemon recipe. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please share the recipe for the delicious looking and sounding cobbler!

    ReplyDelete