Monday, July 30, 2012

Sunday Sundries

We had a pretty low key weekend here at the Martini house.  On Saturday morning, Craig and the kids ran some errands while I attended the first ever PTO meeting at Rex's preschool.  It was an interesting hour and a lot of good ideas were generated though I am wondering how the follow through will turn out.  I did not yet commit myself to any projects as we are new to the school and I feel like I should learn the ropes a bit more before taking on leadership activities.

On Saturday afternoon we headed to Indiana to get some peaches at one of our favorite orchards. Everything is early this year due to the heat and drought, so I wanted to make sure we did not miss the peaches.  On Sunday I turned a good portion of them into jam and we will enjoy eating the rest over the remainder of the week unless I get brave and try my hand at dehydrating.

Peaches juicing

Peaches simmering

Peach jam

On Sunday evening, I made a favorite (if weird to Americans) German dinner: cold cucumber soup with mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. The twist this time was that I used the Armenian cucumbers from my garden along with homegrown dill.  We're a cultural melting pot around here... literally.

A childhood favorite of mine

In other news, we are trying to teach Rex how to use headphones to listen to music.  Here's the first time that he kept them on for an entire song:


And another first, our Emilia-girl with pigtails:


Summer's been quite busy for us, so it's been nice to have a lazy-ish weekend at home.  Home is our favorite place, a safe haven where we can rest, relax, and regenerate.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, would love to make peach jam but my kids eat them too fast. Looks delicious. Emilia is just too cute for words. She is growing in pictures big time. I clearly see a toddler more so than a baby face. But a VERY cute toddler indeed! Rex being able to listen to music is just awesome. Those too are just thriving. It's wonderful to witness.

    ReplyDelete