Friday, August 31, 2012

Hoping Against The Odds


One year ago today I picked up the phone and after the customary pleasantries heard this simple sentence, “We found something.”  Just three little words, sixteen letters, that transformed my life.  In that surreal moment I began to morph from the mother of a child with correctable special needs into the mother of a child with permanent special needs.   Once my new reality set in, my perspective changed completely and I started hoping for things in a different way. 

I hope someday Rex tells me he hates reading because it would mean he’s learned to read.

I hope someday Rex comes home with a speeding ticket because it would mean he has learned to drive.

I hope someday I can think Rex’s girlfriend all wrong for him because it would mean he is in love.

I hope someday I can worry about how to pay the college tuition because it would mean Rex got accepted.

I hope someday Rex asks for help with the rent because it would mean he has moved out.

I hope someday Rex and I have a pointless discussion because it would mean he has learned to speak.

I hope someday to stop frequently for bathroom breaks because it would mean Rex is potty-trained.

I hope someday Rex will break his curfew because it would mean he’s out with his friends, having fun.

I hope someday to wish I could visit my grandkids more often because it would mean Rex is a dad.

I hope someday to see a stunned look of disbelief on the faces of so many doctors and specialists because it would mean Rex has blown their expectations out of the water.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune - without the words,
And never stops at all.
Emily Dickinson

10 comments:

  1. I will be hoping and praying these things along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful way to frame life. It is true that many of the struggles we parents face are really the sign of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping with you and knowing Rex will continue to amaze us all:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this perspective. Rex is amazing and each of these moments will be moments of rejoicing, not just because he has achieved them, but because he hasn't given up, he's trying and he has your loving support each step of the way.

    Hoping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are hoping along with you. Two words: Rex Rocks! Rex is truly a blessing, and he is blessed to have you both as parents to love, nurture, and lookout for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for these things with you, even as I know some...or most...or even ALL may never happen. And that is part of the loss that you MUST mourn and then repackage into resolution and love - regardless. And then it will be okay (mostly) because...it just will be. Rex is the little boy who was meant to be, and he will be a joy to you because he is your son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, you made me cry.
    Hoping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well said and very beautiful. I read that list and am STILL hoping years later. I have a 13yo who can't read but I NEVER give up hope on her. She'll get there in her own time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You took my breath away... I know your heart for your baby boy... and as I felt a tear form because I felt selfish for being upset with Elina for poor word choices... but then I hit the part about Rex showing everyone up... I grinned because of your fierce determination and IF anyone can get Rex there it will be you and Craig. Rex is a beautiful boy... and each time I think of him I remember Connor playing WITH Rex and loving him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm commenting late, but as you know I am diligently working my way through the years and catching up on your blog. This post got to me...so touching. I hope and pray all these things right along with you!

    ReplyDelete