I can't believe it's been over a month since I wrote anything about Rex's developmental progress. Time is just flying by and it seems that he is learning something new each day.
At school, there has been a lot of focus on verbal imitation which has resulted in Rex now being able to purposefully repeat a few words. He says cracker (gra-gah), purple (puh-puhl), yellow (well-woe) after being prompted. I remember when Rex learned to sign, it took a long time before he used his signs spontaneously, so we are being very patient as he works on his speech which is definitely more difficult for him due to being cleft-affected. Rex is much more willing to speak at school than at home, so I plan to sit in on one of his speech therapy sessions this month to see what's being done there and how I can apply it at home.
At school, there has been a lot of focus on verbal imitation which has resulted in Rex now being able to purposefully repeat a few words. He says cracker (gra-gah), purple (puh-puhl), yellow (well-woe) after being prompted. I remember when Rex learned to sign, it took a long time before he used his signs spontaneously, so we are being very patient as he works on his speech which is definitely more difficult for him due to being cleft-affected. Rex is much more willing to speak at school than at home, so I plan to sit in on one of his speech therapy sessions this month to see what's being done there and how I can apply it at home.
| Kicking back |
Rex's therapists are in process of updating a developmental test (the one I have previously described as being columns made up of bricks where each column represents an area of learning and each brick represents a skill). I happened to get a glimpse of the first column in Rex's data folder the other day and saw that Rex has gained about ten new bricks in it. Go Rex! I just can't wait to see the completed update to find out what progress Rex has made since late June. His note yesterday said that we would love all of the new boxes which are getting colored in.
| Showing sister how it's done |
Speaking of going to bed hungry, Rex is definitely stretching in height and losing some of that buddha belly. He looks quite a bit trimmer and more muscular to us and he is almost tall enough that his entire head is above the bathroom counter. A couple of pairs of pants are too short now, too, even though they fit at the start of fall and he is in a bigger size shoe. And his legs are getting hairy which, based on tales of other parents of little Armenian guys, is not an uncommon aspect of their Armenian heritage. I think Rex must somehow feel that he is growing because sometimes it seems like he is ready to burst out of his own skin as he lets out primeval grunts and tries to lift heavy stuff. Very hulk-like.
In general, Rex seems to be in a period of growth. Change is good but can also be hard, so I think this is why we are seeing a few of his less desirable behaviors resurface. It's not often and definitely not what it used to be, but every once in a while he has a moment. We understand and we support him through it. We know that after every storm, Rex will shower us with his sparkling laughter, great curiosity, and boundless joy again.

No comments:
Post a Comment