Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Florentines Recipe

Here's the recipe from Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  They called them Spiderweb Florentines, but I liked the rhyming name better, too.

1/2 cup pecans, toasted
2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats (I used GF oats)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (I used GF all-purpose flour)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used DF chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Pulse pecans and oats in a food processor until finely ground.  Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add sugars and honey and cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar are melted and mixture is simmering, about three minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in pecan mixture, flour, salt, and cinnamon.  Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.

Mound two teaspoonfuls of dough, one on top of the other, to form each cookie; place 2-3 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.  Flatten stacked mounds to 1 3/4 inches in diameter.  Bake until cookies are spread and golden throughout, about 10 minutes.  Let cool completely.  Repeat with remaining dough.

Melt chocolate and use to decorate the cookies as you like.  Let set or refrigerate before serving.

1 comment: