1. What led to your decision to adopt a child with special needs?
I guess it was chance or kismet in our case. We did not set out to adopt children with special needs. In our initial home study we were open only to mild and correctable special needs. Then we saw Rex with cleft lip/palate and severe hearing loss and fell in love. When we adopted him, we had no idea that there would be many more significant and permanent diagnoses added to his life. I have always admitted that if we had known all of these needs from his profile, we would never have inquired about him through Rainbow Kids. As things turned out though, he was meant for us because Rex's adoption unfolded in such a way that in hindsight I believe everything was orchestrated by a higher power who must know better for us than we know for ourselves. Which brings me to the answer for the next question...
2. In what ways did God let you know He was with you during your adoption process?
The adoption process to bring home Rex was very frustrating and painful for Craig and me. We experienced many, many delays and obstacles. A higher power was not on the forefront of our minds as we went through these trying months. On the contrary, it felt like powerful human authorities held all the cards and were putting up road blocks for us at every bend. When I look back on the journey to Rex though and see how all the pieces fell into place, how some things were revealed to us and others remained hidden until he was home, how we waited for eight endless months between trips until our hearts were bursting with love and longing for our son... I believe that it was all meant to be. We were chosen for each other so we could be stretched to so much more than we ever thought possible. We couldn't have imagined that our spiritual master teacher would come to us in the form of a developmentally disabled child, but here he is, growing our minds and hearts bigger and stronger and wiser every single day.
As for Emilia, we believe that no better daughter or sister could have been matched with our family. Her spirit and personality are so exactly suited to balancing the challenges with joy, laughter, light, and love for all of us that we must have been brought together by a divinely provident force.
3. What is your favorite children's book?
Okay, you are asking an avid reader and former literature major here. It's like opening a Pandora's box and you'll never just get one title as your answer. Let's just say that I love the Little House series, Harry Potter, Eric Carle, the Ottokar Domma books (from the GDR), Die Goldenen Schneeschuhe (from the GDR - I have read this book many times in my life, probably time to read it again soon).
4. What is your favorite dessert?
Hot fudge sundae with peanut butter, hold the cherry.
5. If you had a whole day to yourself, what would you do?
Stay in bed to read, sleep, and watch reruns of my favorite TV shows.
6. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Totally a morning person. Always have been and love it. In fact, I got up at 5 today just to get some work done on the computer. In college while others pulled all-nighters to prepare for exams, I was known to go to bed at 9, then get up at 4 or so to do my studying. Don't ask me for anything important after about 7:00 pm though because my brain starts to shut down.
7. Do you have one piece of advice or encouragement for other adopting families?
It's gonna be okay.
8. What is your favorite holiday?
Actually, I am not a big holiday person. I typically find them to be a bit stressful. So, my favorite holidays are lazy, relaxing Saturday nights and Sunday mornings cuddled up on the couch with those I love, maybe with Chinese or Thai take-out or cinnamon rolls baking in the oven, a good movie or just the news, in comfy pajamas, with no rush or obligation in the world.
9. What is your favorite post on your blog?
I like anything that I post about my kids. Not sure if I have one exact favorite, but the Together Forever Day entries come to mind with before and after photos and video from Rex's leaving the orphanage.
10. How many months were each of your adoptions from start to finish?
We sent our application to adopt from Bulgaria to our placing agency on 2/14/09 and had Emilia's Together Forever Day on 11/14/11. We saw Rex's profile on Rainbow Kids on 3/27/10 and his Together Forever Day was 7/14/11.
Now for my Liebster blog: http://pitterpatterart.com - sometimes I wish I could be like this mom. I want to be creative like her, I want to eat everything she bakes, I want to be able to let my kids be as free as hers, I want to exercise like she does... well, just hop over there and check it out for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment