Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11, 2011

One year ago today in Yerevan, we were reunited with Rex after almost eight months of waiting for the bureaucratic process to unfold.


While we were full of joy that morning, I also remember being shocked and heart-broken over how much Rex had deteriorated in the interim.  He was angry, frustrated, shutting down.  He had the skills of an infant.  But his spirit was still alive and we hoped that our love, care, and belief in our son would make it sparkle again.  One year later, Rex is a curious, joyful, determined, energetic, resilient, hard-working, loving boy whose laughter is infectious to everyone who has the privilege of hearing it.  

Here are a few before & after photos:


Our son is a blessing, a gift to be treasured, a story of survival and hope, and a beautiful example of how adoption can change a life.  And while it may seem like a drop in a bucket, that one life is worth everything.

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. And what a difference. My goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is an amazing little boy.... Connor had such a great time playing with him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are filling his world with love and joy every day :) Look how great he is doing and how very happy he is... precious more than words can convey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...a year. Congratulations! Two curious, joyful, determined, energetic, resilient,and hard-working parents + one curious, joyful, determined, energetic, resilient, hard-working boy = a happy family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed all the moments I've gotten to see Rex. What a difference a year makes! That sparkle is definitely, definitely there. Can't wait to see what the next few years bring for Rex. You can just tell he's full of love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is doing so well. I'm so happy you have reached the 1 year together mark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how we all get how love and a family can change a life...when will the people in charge get??? I am so happy to see Rex smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures are so telling, Viv! The change from perpetual scowl and fearful eyes to constant grin and trusting eyes is absolutely amazing. What a difference love makes:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A true blessing for all. I am so happy for you all. Many years of joy to come!

    ReplyDelete