As some of you know, Craig and I lived in southeastern Missouri for about three years. This week, Craig had to return there on business, so the kids and I joined him on the trip which, for me, served as a reminder of what was good about living in Missouri and also of why I never want to live there again.
We rented a cabin on the grounds of a vineyard. It was a beautiful setting though with heat indexes around 110, we did not get to enjoy it as much as we'd wanted.
 |
| Sunrise |
 |
| View from our cabin |
 |
| Little boy on the prairie |
 |
| Admiring the wide open sky |
We didn't know it when we booked, but they also keep quite a lot of horses at the vineyard. They often came right up to our cabin and we were able to get a good look. I think this was the first time that my children took note of a live animal other than a neighborhood dog.
 |
| Horses roaming |
 |
| Hello there, beautiful! |
While in Missouri, we also had the opportunity to catch up with old friends which was so much fun. And, as if this weren't enough, we got together with a wonderful family who adopted a little boy from Rex's orphanage. The boys are only about two months apart in age and spent a long time together in the same room. We were told by our translator that they were friends. I forgot to ask if I was allowed to post a picture on my blog of their reunion, so I might do it at a later time.
After three days in Missouri (we even drove through our old neighborhood and showed the kids where we used to live), all of us were ready to come back to Ohio. When we walked into the door here, Rex bubbled over with happiness. I think sometimes he is still afraid that we might leave him somewhere or not return to the home he loves.
 |
| Bracing herself for the long car ride |
It's just like they say, there's no place like home.
I know the other little boy of whom you speak! What a wonderful chance for a reunion and also to check out your one-time roots. I do think the places we live touch us in different ways...even if we don't choose to stay there.
ReplyDelete