Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Brotherhood Of The Traveling Coat

I don't know about you, but I always have a really hard time going through my kids' clothes and getting rid of stuff that simply does not fit anymore.  It feels like so many of their items of clothing carry special memories: I recall when they wore something to one place or another or that they wore it when they first did such and such or that they always looked so cute in it... you get the idea.  That said, being the daughter and grand-daughter of some pack rat people, I fully realize that I have to part with these things.  They are just objects and the memories are in my heart rather than in the piece of clothing.  So, at least twice a year I force myself to sort and purge.  I always like it best when I can pass some of the clothes on to other little ones I know.

Last June, I handed down some of Rex's clothes to friends in process of adopting their son from Bulgaria.  It was not easy for me to let go of these things, but I had made up my mind and truly wanted them to have the clothing.  Still, there was a sad pang in my heart when I gave them the bag.  This evening my friend sent me a photo that made my heart go pitter-patter with the opposite emotion.  As soon as I opened the picture of their son's Gotcha Day outfit, I recognized Rex's jacket, one of the things that I had struggled to give up.  This time last year, he used to wear it a lot and yes, he always looked so adorable in it.

Rex in the jacket in October 2012

"We're taking a part of Rex with us for the big day," the email read.  Such nice words by my friend and what a sweet gesture to let me know that they remembered our gift.  Now there is only one thing better than receiving this message which will be to see a photo of their beautiful boy walking out of the orphanage into a bright, happy future with his family, wearing this cute outfit.  I can't imagine Rex's old coat being at a more special occasion than another child beginning his new life.

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of adorable kid clothes, I always mean to ask you...awhile back, you posted a sweet photo of Emilia running on the beach in the cutest sandals ever. They had a very Greek/Roman feel to the style. Do you remember where you found those shoes? I've been searching online for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought them at a local second hand store called Once Upon A Child. They were brand new, still with original tag, for $4.00. And Emilia got major compliments on these sandals all summer long.

    The brand is Falls Creek Kids which I think is sold at Meijer stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought them at a local second hand store called Once Upon A Child. They were brand new, still with original tag, for $4.00. And Emilia got major compliments on these sandals all summer long.

    The brand is Falls Creek Kids which I think is sold at Meijer stores.

    ReplyDelete