Sunday, April 29, 2012

Emilia - Twenty-Three Weeks Home

Yesterday marked twenty-three weeks home for Emilia.  She is such a different little girl from the tiny, timid wallflower we brought home from Bulgaria.  Now we have a fierce and feisty toddler on our hands. 



Emilia has decided that just about anything or anyone is good for climbing and she has also figured out that she can push the chairs around, then climb them to reach higher up items and surfaces.  She likes the kitchen sink a lot, so if I have anything in there soaking, she’s bound to find it and play with the water. Gross.  Emilia is now able to sit and focus on age appropriate videos for about 15-20 minutes.  She especially likes the Baby Einstein Numbers Nursery and some of the Your Baby Can Read selections.  She also enjoys for us to turn on some music and pick her up to dance.

Emilia is very interested in watching and feeling our mouths these days as we are forming words.  She is doing some imitation of sounds, too.  For example, one night I was in the living room popping bubble wrap with Rex, saying, “Pop, pop, pop.”  After a while, from the kitchen where Emilia was perched on a big chair, I heard, “Popopo.”  The suspense is killing me as I am anxiously awaiting her fourth English word, whatever that might be.


Nutritionally, Emilia is making nice progress.  She continues to move toward more solid foods and I am finally seeing some serious jaw movement when warranted.  I used to have to pick the fruit pieces out of Emilia’s soy yogurt and now she eats them with no issues.  She also had Stage 4 chunky applesauce with the diced apple pieces in it and didn’t even blink.  And just yesterday for lunch, she allowed us to feed her several bits of a cake donut.  She took them straight from our fingers into her mouth, then mashed/chewed and swallowed.  We were so excited about this as it’s her most solid food to date and also the first time that she accepted a food from our fingers rather than a spoon.  If anyone has ideas about what solids to offer her next, I am open to suggestions.


Our little Emilia girl is doing very well, all in her own perfect time and way.  We love you, sweet pea!

2 comments:

  1. "Watching and feeling your mouths move"...our gal is doing the same. She's been fascinated with that since we first became a family. I, too, have thought it's about the sounds that come from our mouths. Also love the sensory ball and the squishy climbing "toys"...we went to a class the other day and they had both of these. I definitely would like to locate both! Sounds like Miss E is making fabulous progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. saltines, cheerios, pretzels, little tiny pieces of cheese, cut up blueberries, Annie's cheddar bunnies, mashed avocado, mashed banana

    ReplyDelete