Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kozunak

Today I baked the traditional Bulgarian Easter bread called Kozunak. I made two loaves, one for my family and one for my neighbors who have two Bulgarian children.

Kozunak is made from yeast dough, so you start with mixing the basics: milk, sugar, eggs, butter, yeast, lemon peel, and salt:


After adding about 14 cups flour, I got to knead. I love kneading dough by hand:


Then the dough had to rise in the sunshine on the porch:


About 90 minutes later, I turned the dough into two braids which needed to rise a bit more:


And then it it was finally time to bake these beautiful golden loaves:

We haven't tasted the Kozunak yet, but I hope it's as good as it looks.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Can you email me the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snuck a piece. IT IS AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS!
    Thanks, Viviane, for the bread, and for sharing experiences and friendship with us!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! I just put that on Barry's baking list:) He is the chef in our house. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy, I am so scared to make bread. Have tried before and it doesn't rise!!!!

    ReplyDelete