Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Opa

If he were still alive, my Opa would turn 90 years old today. I can’t begin to put into words how much I loved him and still do, how much he taught me about everything that’s important in life, how wonderfully he filled my childhood with magic, make-belief and imagination, how he always made me feel protected and heard and special, how much fun he was to be with, and how thankful I am to have had him as my grandfather.

Rex was named after my Opa and my Great-Aunt Else because we wanted to honor them, but more importantly because we hope that he will be even just a little bit like them: resilient, hard-working, generous, wise, patient, and loving.

L to R: Aunt Else, Oma, me, Opa

Opa, I wish you could have met your great-grandkids. They’re a crazy handful and would have had a blast on the farm. Someday I will take them and tell them all about the remarkable people who used to live there. I still miss you so much every day, but I think you already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment