Monday, April 30, 2012

Nom Nom Nom

This afternoon magic happened in my kitchen when Emilia decided it was time to eat a cookie like this:


I don't even know why I thought to offer her a vanilla shortbread cookie, but I did.  I broke off a piece and held it out in her direction. She looked, opened her mouth and allowed me to place it on her tongue.  Then she closed and chewed/mashed and then she swallowed.  Baffled, I presented another piece with the same result.  In about six bites, the cookie was gone and Emilia was so proud of herself, she couldn't stop hugging me and I gladly obliged.

I can't tell you what an incredible step forward this is for my little girl who less than six months ago let any food with the slightest lump plop right back out of her mouth.  I remember the days when she routinely craned her head away from any approaching spoon or cup and when she ran, screaming, from any solid food entering her personal space.  And today her first cookie: what a reward for me after following my instincts with her feeding for months and allowing her to discover food at her own pace in a place of trust we slowly created.  Go, Emilia!  I can't wait to learn what your favorite foods will be.

6 comments:

  1. That's quite an achievemetnt, Emilia! She's going to have so much fun discovering all the new foods ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Emilia!!!! Before you know it she will be eating as much as her big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray!!!! Overcoming feeding hurdles feels so good!!! What a wonderful development for you all!!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete