Monday, April 2, 2012

Emilia - Nineteen Weeks Home

As of Saturday, Emilia has been home with us for nineteen weeks. It simultaneously seems so much longer and shorter. I just can't believe it.

I don't have much to report developmentally though I am certain that Emilia is learning all the time. She has her special way of observing from the sidelines and then tackling the task on her own when no one is watching. She's usually successful. Emilia is less aversive now to fine motor activities, but it's very tricky to get and keep her engaged for a bit. As a parent, you almost have to act as if you don't care whether or not she participates. I am also working on getting her to touch more textures. Shaving cream is a total no, but she loves sand. Evergreens and grass are now okay, but thera-putty and play dough are still hard. Someone gave me a tip of putting the less favorite textures into ziplock bags and presenting them to her that way first, so I will try.

I just love her hair in this photo.
I wish it always looked like this
instead of being a knotty mess.

Monkey see, monkey do,
Now we have climber number 2.
Rex loves to balance on this little rocking chair,
so, of course, Emilia is doing the same.

I am beginning to realize that attachment has made a great leap forward. Emilia used to go into anyone's arms as part of orphanage survival, but on Saturday we were at a big birthday party and she did not allow herself to be held by anyone other than Craig and me. I was telling people not to be offended, but that it was actually a great thing that she was cautious of them.

Yes, our one-sock-wonder can still fall asleep anywhere anytime.

As for eating and drinking, Emilia is back on track and just from picking her up, I can tell she is gaining weight again. She starts to fuss for food when there's cooking going on or when she sees someone else eating. She is especially interested in Rex's food. A few times now she has allowed us to touch some solids to her tongue: cornbread, breadstick, ravioli, but has not eaten them. Hey, I consider it progress.

Emilia still loves to suck her thumb and it is moving her upper front teeth forward now. I guess braces are in our future. Speaking of teeth, I see quite a few new ones peaking out their heads. The rocking has decreased significantly and she actually quite often now just sits me down on the floor and takes my hands to rock together, see-saw style, then doesn't rock at all, but instead just looks and smiles at me. Pure sweetness.

We love our little Bulgarian blessing. She's a wonderful daughter.

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about her progress-she's beautiful! Still hoping we'll be able to find a little princess to bring home with our son :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's doing so well. WIth the feeding stuff, our daughter has feeding issues. I know what progress it is when they will let a foreign food touch their tongue or even lip. So rejoice in the smallest blessings - they are HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad that she is gaining weight. I can't wait to meet both of your blessings!

    ReplyDelete